Intro to essential oils:
Essential oils can be used for a variety of reasons: to cure ailments, to help with eczema/psoriasis, aromatherapy, etc.
As for me, some of you that knows me, knows that I’ve been struggling with eczema my whole life. Doctor after doctor after doctor has been prescribing me steroid creams after steroid creams and so on. Now that I’m an adult and have full control (and say) for what I intake to my body and apply to my body, I decided to go the natural (or as natural as I can) method, essential oils.
When I first started researching essential oils a few years back, it was just for aromatherapy purposes. However, within the past 2 months, I realized, that I can use essential oils for my eczema too. Therefore, I researched deeper and more in depth about essential oils for eczema.
What I found out is that when using essential oils as topical, you CANNOT apply directly. You need to have a Carrier oil, or a base oil. As for me, I like to use either vitamin E oil, Sweet Almond oil, Jojoba oil, or Grapeseed oil as my carrier oil.
Which oils are best for eczema? How do I use essential oils for eczema?
I will list the main oils for eczema and have a brief description of benefits with it.
The oils I use for my eczema, are:
1) Tea Tree oil: Tea tree oil is antimicrobial and antiseptic.
2) Peppermint oil: this oil allows the skin to feel cool, “cooling down” type of sensation. Peppermint oil is anti-inflammatory.
3) Lavender oil: Calm and soothing. Also, anti-inflammatory.
The routine I found most helpful are as follows:
1) post-shower dryoff
2) carrier or base oil
3) 2-3 drops of tea tree essential oil and rub it into my eczema areas.
4) About 2 drops of either lavender or peppermint essential oils depending on my mood.
5) standard lotion, doesnt have to be for eczema. Make sure you apply a good layer of lotion, not to the point where you feel like you’re drenched in lotion, but a decent amount to where its moisturizing and you dont feel the burning sensation of itching.
There are a variety of choices when it comes to essential oils. As the picture above, I use cardamom oil for my diffuser for aromatherapy at home.